Friday, September 11, 2009

Schönbrunn Gardens

August 20th, 2009

The German word of the day is gesund, which translates to "healthy." 

I have started hitting a roadblock internally on the trip: Exhaustion. I am so tired that all I want to do is sleep! Having something to do everyday really takes everything out of you, especially when it is hot and muggy. I stayed in for the most of the day today but then felt guilty since there is not that much time left on the trip. To make up for that Jan, Anthony and myself decide to take the subway to Schönbrunn Palace to go to the Z00. By the time we got there (5pm) the Zoo was going to close in an hour, so definitely not worth it!


Instead the three of us decided to check out the gardens that were situated on the beautiful estate. Looking at The Great Palm House you don't even have to go inside, you can marvel at the fantastic iron structure standing in front of you! It has two 28-meter high central pavilions and two lateral pavilions that are three meters lower. This allows for circulation that helps keep the building at four climatic zones, allowing for multiple species to flourish.


The Dutch-Botanic Garden was set up in a tropical environment, which actually made me want to be in the air outside! I love walking around in gardens though. I like to see plants and flowers that I would never get the chance too. An inventory of the entire stock of the Dutch-Botanic Garden dated 1799 lists 4,000 plants of nearly 800 different species.


We also walked into the Wustenhaus, which is a scene out of Arizona. Lots of cacti, birds and scenes close to home. More humidity.



The Baroque gardens were some of the most beautiful that I had seen in Vienna. It was particularly lovely in the back of the palace looking up towards the Gloriette from Schönbrunn Palace. Below is a picture of the palace and some of its gardens.



No comments:

Post a Comment